The Nugget

Triumphant Trumpets

Danielle Nelson, Head Writer

Around 180 Helena High band students went to Florida over spring break and performed in Epcot and at a high school. Helena High had great success over this trip as they were able to take home a total of four awards: Wind Symphony took home first in their category, Jazz Band also took home first in their category and also received the highest score that the Jazz Band has gotten so far, Combined Band got second place, and Symphonic Winds received third place in their category.

The officers for the band are Sean Harris, Sam Lashley, Greg Martin, and Jessica Sekerak. The officers were responsible for helping Mr. Loveridge plan and keeping everything organized while in Florida. Sekerak said Loveridge “depended on the upper classmen to back him up!” and that being a leader was “an absolutely incredible experience.”

After playing at the award ceremony held in Universal Orlando, the band officers went on stage to receive the trophies. Sekerak added that they were “excited to have won so many times” and that they were also “really honored to have made Mr. Loveridge so proud.” She also noted that the seniors have been super involved throughout the year and that the band trip was the “perfect ending to it all.”

The trip to Florida did not purely consist of performing, the band was also able to have some fun. They went to several places including the beach and more. Emily Roos, senior at Helena High, was able to ride a plane and see the ocean for the first time. Roos also sat in the gold section at a Medieval dinner outside of Orlando and show that the band attended, and added that the knight for her section was “the best looking of them all.” She also explained that each knight randomly selects a queen, and that she was chosen for her section. Roos said she was “pretty stoked about that.”