Ask A Senior!

Semester Test Strategy Advice

Hanah Jensen, Head Writer

For most, testing is a very stressful part of high school. Long hours of reading, writing, studying, and note-taking can cause stress, anxiety, and frustration. So for those who don’t take tests so easily, how do you cope? I spoke to a few Helena High seniors and asked them a few tips and tricks on testing, and how to power through the stress of tests.

Jessie Cundall, a senior, had some good advice to give.“Breathe. I know it sounds cheesy, but if you get a little nervous during a test, it’s best to stay calm and collected. It also really helps to chew gum!” Cundall added that throughout high school, she’s learned that if you stay organized with your notes and assignments, it can really benefit you during your study time. “I like to highlight things, make bullet point lists, and keep all of my notes together. And if you’re hungry, thirsty, or overwhelmed, it can throw you off track. Don’t stress it, this test isn’t the end of the world.” Some of us may disagree, but Cundall had a valid point. Failing a test isn’t  the end of the world, but you should always strive for excellence and put in your all.

I also asked Julius Scott, a cheerleader at HHS, is usually pretty confident taking them, unless it’s a trickier subject like math.“No matter what you score on these big tests like the ACT and SAT, you can retake them. They expect too much from you in a very small time period, which can be overwhelming for some people.” Scott believes that your general mood the day of the test can also affect your performance. Staying confident can really benefit you during your quiz or test.“Take some time out of your day, whether it be half an hour or 15 minutes, it’s important to put aside some time to focus on studying so you can be prepared. Put your cellphone and chicken nuggets away!” Scott realized his freshmen year that tests are unavoidable and you can only push studying off so much until that paper is sitting in front of you.

Scott recommends it’s best to stay focused, nourished, and dedicated when you’re taking a test, as Cundall and Scott recommended. If seniors can continue to push through all 4 years of testing, so can you. It’s important to find a study habit that works for you, and stay confident! Testing IS NOT the end of the world; keep powering through HHS!