Thespian Club: Transcending Time and Location

Ethan Taylor, Writer

Helena High has a multitude of elective classes for students of all skillsets, including theatre. Even if you’re not in theater class, you can get in on the action by participating in the Thespian Club.  

They meet at lunch in the Little Theatre on the last Friday of each month. According to the Thespian Board President, Brenna Holgate (grade 12), the main purpose of the club is to “cultivate its talent into the Montana State Thespian Festival.” At the festival, students perform plays that they have written, showcasing each student’s talents.  Holgate says she made some of her favorite theater memories at this festival, which HHS has been participating in for over 100 years. Holgate also credits the Thespian community as the best part of theater, saying, “Each hour in the theatre is spent building on a unique relationship that will transcend time and location.” The theater community is not only limited to Helena, though. Thespians from out of town and even out of state come to watch each other perform.  

Despite people coming to watch, theater does not get enough recognition, especially considering all the work and passion put in by the community. Everyone who has ever touched the set of a play can tell you that passion is oozing everywhere. Therefore, Holgate believes, “At the high school age, it’s essential to cultivate a proper environment for students to learn identities.” Each person who chooses to join the Thespian Club brings a unique personality into the mix. 

The magic of theatre comes from the diversity of the community. Every person has a place in Thespianism, and everyone makes a difference. As Shakespeare said, “All the world’s a stage,” and Thespian Club gives many Helena High students their first view of this great stage.