Here’s the Story, Morning Glory

Here’s the Story, Morning Glory

Will Eaton, Writer

Oasis’ second studio album (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. In 1995, the English rock band created one of the most important albums to come out of the 90s and asserted themselves as a defining part of the Britpop era. The band themselves also had quite a history- with fallouts and battles for the top of the charts.  

Oasis formed in Manchester in 1991. The group’s line up initially consisted of Liam Gallagher, Paul Arthurs, Paul McGuigan, and Tony McCarroll until Liam’s older brother Noel joined as a fifth member. They went through several lineup changes during the duration of their existence, but the Gallagher brothers remained at the core.  

Despite the fact that the band was already a national phenomenon due to their 1994 debut album Definitely Maybe going straight to No. 1 on the UK album charts, many people predicted the band would fall into the sophomore slump with their next album.  

In 1995, a chart rivalry between Blur and Oasis, called “The Battle of Britpop,” propelled Britpop into the spotlight. The bands had originally supported one other, but tensions between them grew over the course of the year, especially with the simultaneous release of Blur’s song “Country House” and Oasis’ “Roll with It.” The controversy set the two bands against one another, and it was as much about British class and regional differences as it was about music. Oasis represented the north, while Blur represented the south. The incident, noted as the greatest pop rivalry since the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, captivated the public’s interest, garnering coverage in national newspapers, tabloids, and television news. 

The album starts with “Hello,” an incredible, nostalgic rock track. It begins with helicopter noises and static then transitions into what The Rolling Stones magazine described as “an invigorating riff that circles endlessly over wailing guitar echoes and hedonistic lyrics.” Other highlights on the album include the piano echoing John Lennon’s “Imagine” in “Don’t Look Back in Anger” and the description of what it’s like to be an artist in a consumer society in “Cast No Shadow.” 

The majority of the lyrics on the album are left to the listeners’ interpretation. On “Wonderwall,” the third and most well-known track of the album, the brothers sing, “I said maybe, you’re gonna be the one that saves me? And after all. You’re my wonderwall.” Most have agreed that they are referring to “an imaginary friend who’s gonna come and save you from yourself,” but still, that’s just a guess. 

The album went on to sell over 22 million copies worldwide and to this day is the fifth best-selling album in the UK.  

Though Oasis had quite the success, it was short-lived. The band split in 2009 after Noel’s heated confrontation with younger brother Liam- but the group’s music and impact has never wavered. Now, this album isn’t necessarily for casual listening, but if you need an album for a late night drive or a quick moment of rage before homework, by all means listen away! 

In the first few days of the new semester, start it off right by giving a listen to Oasis’ masterpiece and hear for yourself just how influential the album was for Britpop and English culture as a whole- and you’ll understand why it will forever be a classic.