A Bittersweet Goodbye

Connor Casne-Jones, Head Editor

On November 8th, 2019, Helena High played Bozeman High in the AA semifinals. With just over 10 minutes remaining in the game, Kaden Huot and the Bengals were driving down the field. The Bengals were down 10-7 and were looking for the go ahead score. But then disaster struck, senior cornerback for the Bozeman Hawks Carter Ash jumped the out-route and took it to the house for the touchdown. 17-7 was the final score, and spelled the end for the Bengals’ football season. Senior Trey Martin said, “It was a great game, close, heated; but in the last 2 or 3 minutes we realized it was our final high school football game, and that’s when the seniors began to break-down on the sideline. It was emotional”

Despite the less than ideal end to the season, the team remains united. Senior Booker Perkins said, “We’re a family for life. These guys are my brothers and will be for my entire life.” Martin added, “That’s part of why those last couple minutes were so tough, just knowing that it’s the last time you get to play with this family.” 

For the senior football players this marked the end of a 4 year journey. Senior Keyshawn Newby said, “I already miss it. It’s been such a big part of my life for so long, but the lessons I learned and the friends I made will always be a part of me.” Senior Kyler Tesch added, “I’ve been playing football since I was a kindergartner, so I don’t think it will ever not be part of my life.” Kyler’s father, Rob Tesch, is Helena High’s running back coach, so football is in Kyler’s blood. Maybe coaching will be in the younger Tesch’s future as well. “It’s a possibility,” Kyler said.

This team relied heavily on juniors and underclassmen, which could spell success in upcoming years. “It’ll be a heck of a team next year, I definitely would not be surprised to see them take state next year,” Kyler Tesch said.