College of the Week: Lewis-Clark State College

https://flic.kr/p/cHYmem J. Stephen Conn

Marcus Roberts, Head Writer

Lewis-Clark State College is a great option for undecided seniors graduating from Helena High. Not to be confused with Lewis & Clark College in Oregon, the school is located just miles from the Nez Pearce Reservation and the Idaho-Washington border in Lewiston, Idaho. More than eighty degrees are offered with an annual enrollment of around four thousand students. The four-year college is the lowest-costing institution in Idaho. Costing out-of-state students around nineteen thousand dollars, which is near five thousand dollars less than average. Additionally, seventy-six percent of students receive financial aid and twenty-seven million dollars are allocated to scholarships and aid annually.  

Academics 

LC State is most well-known for its criminal justice, education, nursing, social work, and technical programs. However, they are comprised of ten different divisions: Business, Business Technology and Service, Humanities, Natural Science and Mathematics, Nursing and Health Sciences, Movement and Sports Sciences, Social Sciences, Teacher Education, Technical and Industrial, and Interdisciplinary Studies.  

Click here to see a complete list of majors and programs offered at L-C State.

Athletics 

The Lewis-Clark State Warriors play in the Frontier Conference of the N.A.I.A. (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics). Varsity sports teams include basketball, baseball, cross country, golf, track and field, and volleyball. Notable alumni suggest this school is home to a great baseball program. With nineteen national championships in thirty-five years, L-C State was the starting point for many Major League Baseball players. The list is ongoing, but here are some names you might know: Carlos Fisher (Cincinatti Reds), Steve Decker (San Francisco Giants), Marvin Benard (San Francisco Giants), Keith Foulke (Chicago White Sox), Blaine Hardy (Detroit Tigers), Brendan Ryan (St. Louis Cardinals). 

Campus 

Lewiston is on the lower end of the Washington-Idaho border. There aren’t very many landmarks near the town besides the Hells Canyon of Oregon, about a two hour drive south. The people of Lewiston are a very tight-knit community. Additionally, the urban location of the college is a perfect place for students and faculty to take part in their surroundings. There are many things to compensate for the rather featureless terrain that surrounds the area, and they mostly include school-sponsored things, like intramural sports or services. All residence halls are coed and include designated rooms for students with disabilities. There are four halls: Clark Hall, Talkington Hall, Clearwater Hall, and Parish House. The college meal plan confuses me… what are flex dollars? If you want to try and figure out the meal plan yourself, click here.

For more information about Lewis-Clark State education, campus, or athletics, click here.