College of the Week: UM

The University of Montana Takes the Spotlight

Marcus Roberts, Head Writer

The U of M: The University of Montana. This week I took a personal tour through the 126-year-old Griz Country, and I liked what I saw. The Missoula-based school is designed to integrate liberal arts and sciences into undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. What I liked most about the college was its purpose: The way they combine education with outdoor recreation is probably why it ranks among the best public universities in the nation. Their alumnus is very impressive, too. Actors Carroll O’Conner and J.K. Simmons went to UM; Colin Meloy, lead singer for the Decemberists; eight Pulitzer prize winners and Udall, Fullbright, Goldwater, and Truman Scholars did too. 

Academics
There are eight different colleges comprised in the university. Colleges of Education and Human Sciences, Humanities and Sciences, Forestry and Conservation, Health Professions and Biomedical Sciences, Visual and Performance Art, Business, Law, and Journalism. For a complete list of all offered degrees and majors at the University of Montana, click here.

Athletics 

Competing in the NCAA Division I Big Sky Conference, the U of M has a variety of varsity sports. Serious athletes can compete intercollegiatly in Tennis, Track and Field, Basketball, Cross Country, Volleyball, and Soccer. They have many intramural and recreational sports clubs are encouraged for anyone to join and enjoy the outdoors, too. But, the most famous of all sports at UM is football. Since 1986, the program has had 25 consecutive winning seasons and has reached the national playoffs more than 19 times in that same span at the 26,500-seat Washington-Grizzly Stadium. 

Campus 

The campus and its surroundings prove that the U of M takes its nature and wildlife conservation seriously. 220 acres of residence halls, college buildings, and arenas are all joined with a certain, Missoula-style, vibrancy and electricity. More literally, the campus is joined and centered at a beautiful, open space called “The Oval.” In it, the most iconic picture of the campus is constantly reimaged with the crisp change of Montana climate. I’m referring to the 7-foot tall, 5000-pound life-size bronze Grizzly Bear statue. That is my favourite scene of the entire campus: standing west of the statue and seeing the large ‘M’ on the mountain in the background. 

For more information about Grizzly education, campus, or athletics, click here.