The Nugget

Dynasties in Sports

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady sits on the bench during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefs Monday, Sept. 29, 2014, in Kansas City, Mo. The Chiefs won 41-14. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

AP

AP

John Orzechowski, Head Writer

Even though the Eagles pulled out a win during Super Bowl 52, Tom Brady was extremely close to receiving his 6th Super Bowl win in eight attempts. The Warriors are a dysfunctional Cavaliers team away from their third title in four years. The Yankees, who made a deep postseason run last season, are in prime condition to contend for a World Series with the addition of Giancarlo Stanton for basically nothing. In every league and in every sport, a team rises to the top at the end of the season, and there are always teams favored from the start. But there’s a point when it gets too far.  Sports is an entertainment business, and when people start to lose interest they become pointless.

While Nick Saban has won five national championships in ten years with the Rolling Tide and doesn’t seem to be slowing down, dynasties are nothing new. In history, it’s been the Lakers, the Steelers, and the Canadians. And the elite teams that exist now will not be the last. The Patriots, no matter how strong their roster is now, will eventually fall off. But by then there will be another team going on rampage throughout the NFL. And there’s not really a way to solve a dynasty problem without changing the rules of the whole sport. Take the Warriors, for example. When Kevin Durant left the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2016 for the Bay, he joined a team that went seven games with the best player in the world, but lost in the final three minutes of the NBA finals. He didn’t just push them over the edge, he secured the Larry O’Brien trophy for years to come. Because this team isn’t going to break up anytime soon. Steph Curry is going to be there for at least five more years, according to his contract. Draymond Green will stick around another three. Durant will be around another two. The only of their main four players who has a contract expiring this year is Klay Thompson, but why wouldn’t he resign? As long as this core is together, there’s not a roster in the NBA that could take them seven games and come out on top. People who can choose where to go are going to choose a team that they can win on. Duke Basketball, another powerhouse in the sports world, is going to make a final four run next year. Even when Marvin Bagley leaves this summer, they’ve secured the services of four of the top eight recruits of the 2018 class.

Teams like these ruin the game. At the beginning of the NBA season TNT ran an ad before the first game between the Cavaliers and Celtics. It featured stars from around the league trying to convince us that it would be worth it to watch the regular season, as if they could go toe to toe with the Golden States or Houston’s of the league when it came to the postseason. The viewer could feel how forced it was. Nobody wants to watch because anyone who pays attention could give a good idea of what’s going to happen in June.

People can complain about teams like this all they want, but they have to recognize that there’s a bigger problem with the process of free agency and recruiting. As long as the best athletes can choose where to go, we’re going to have this issue.