Poelking Him Out of His Shell

Milagro Tocas, Head Writer

Bob Poelking, an American Government teacher at Helena High, was born and raised in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Poelking claims that throughout high school, he was a social butterfly and was friends with all kinds of people. When he was younger, he dreamed of being an FBI agent until he realized how much science is involved in that field. During his Sophomore year of high school, he decided he wanted to be a history teacher. After receiving his diploma, he pursued a teaching degree at Michigan State University where he majored in history and minored in political science. 

Post-graduation, Poelking traveled to many countries including the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, and Scotland. “My favorite journey was definitely going to London because I got to visit a ton of museums. But if I could go anywhere, I’d go to Greece because I’m a real ancient-history lover.”  

When Poelking has down time, you can usually find him reading, hiking, or attending concerts. “My friends, my sister’s friends, and I all go to the Lollapalooza music festival every year; it’s awesome,” he says.  

Not only is Poelking a history fan, he’s also a music lover. His all-time favorite bands include Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, and Spoon.  

Even though Montana is miles away from home, Poelking is happy to be teaching here and doesn’t ever see himself in a different career. This year is his second year at Helena High School, and he says, “I’ve taught 6-12th grade with the exception of 7th and this age is by far my favorite because you guys are finding your own personalities and come to me with really interesting and funny conversations.” Every one of his students walk out of his classroom knowing something new every day but the most important thing he wants students to learn is his life moto: “Civility is essential. In other words, don’t be a jerk.”