The Nugget

Rodgers Goes Down, Hundley Comes In

Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers warms up before an NFL football game against the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017, in Green Bay, Wis. (AP Photo/Mike Roemer) ORG XMIT: WIMG1

AP

AP

Kaiti Huntley, Writer

The Vikings’ own U.S. Bank Stadium was full to the brim with 66,655 people who traveled from all around the country to watch the ultimate football showdown on October 15th, 2017. The Packers were away from home, fighting the Vikings in hopes to continue their 3 game winning streak. They were six games into their season, and it began to look like it could be a golden one. The quarterback Aaron Rodgers was on his way to a possible third MVP award as well.

The Green Bay Packers of Wisconsin started the game off strong, after winning the coin flip, and returning the kickoff. There was seven minutes, and two seconds left on the clock in the 1st quarter of 4. The packers were at 2nd and 9, when the ball was snapped into Aaron’s possesion.  Rodgers’ had thrown the ball to a fellow teammate, Martellus Bennett for an incomplete pass. The Packers quarterback was then knocked to the ground on a rough hit from the Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr after the throw. No flag was thrown on the play, but Aaron became livid with Barr as he began to feel the pain and realized the severity of his injury. With no time to spare, Rodgers was carted off the field into the locker room to be checked out by paramedics to decipher the possible injuries he had sustained.

Mike McCarthy, the Green Bay Packers head coach, sent in the backup quarterback, Brett Hundley. Hundley trained and played football at UCLA, and this was his time to shine after being with the team for three seasons. Hundley has great mobility and shows the characteristics of a star quarterback in the making. This was also a big step for him after throwing his first career touchdown to Davante Adams, tying the game to 7-7. The Packers played a great game even though they had lost their star player, although they weren’t able to take home a win. The Minnesota Vikings ended up winning 23-10.

Rodgers had broken his left collarbone once before in 2013, and in result he missed 7 games before being able to return for the final game of their season. The greatest fear for any quarterback is a broken collarbone, and those fears started to become true for Rodgers. The Green Bay Packers even tweeted “QB Aaron Rodgers suffered a broken right collarbone. Theres a chance he could miss the rest of the season.”

Rodgers underwent surgery to repair his broken collarbone on October 19th in California. “I rolled out to my right, I threw the ball, and I got tackled and kind of slammed on the ground, but I’m good now.” Rodgers mentioned. “Thirteen screws later and here I am.”

With surgery expected to speed up the healing process, it is possible the Rodgers could return December 17th to the game in Carolina if there are no complications and the Packers are in the running for a playoff spot. Rodgers had also previously mentioned on social media that “Surgery went well. Thanks for all the love, support, thoughts and prayers. #comebackstartsnew #riseagain.” All Packer fans are hoping for a fast recovery and to see Rodgers out on the field again before the season is over.