The Nugget

IT’s Excellent

A Horror Remake to Terrify A New Generation

Declan Rous, Editor

If you would of asked me at the beginning of the year “what movies do you think will be in your top ten list of 2017?” I would have never in a million years thought that the horror remake of Stephen King’s, “It” would make that list. It is with a glad smile that I will admit that It is one of my favorite films of the year. The remake is a wonderful blend of horror, nostalgia, and comedy all wrapped into a relatable, coming of age story.

I have never been a fan of horror movies, due to the frequent jump scares and their low production quality, something that this remake doesn’t suffer from. The movie is a perfect example of what an adaptation should be: it takes the well rounded concepts, entertaining plot points while leaving out all the extensive ideologies that can’t be comprehended easily in the limited run time. The movie focuses on the Loser’s Club, a group of friends that are outcasts Each encounters Pennywise, a shapeshifting monster usually seen as a clown, that feeds on children’s fear in a more traumatic and serious way than Monster’s Inc. The story is one that captures your interest right along with the children of the story, who explore the interesting town history, the mythology of Pennywise, why more people are going missing, and more importantly how to stop it.  The story explores themes of growing up and how important friendship is. The emotional ties you make along the way to the characters will make the climatic ending even more powerful.

Bill Skarsgard portrays the monster Pennywise in a stomach-turning, enjoyable way. One second he is a charismatic clown and in an blink of an eye he turns into a creepy, soulless vessel. A turley entertaining villain for the film that will make you laugh, feel sad, and scream in fear. The true stars of the film are the members of the Loser’s Club themselves. Jaeden Lieberher portrays the leader of the loser club Bill, who’s trying to find his lost brother in a quest with his friends that tests his courage and control of his grief. Jeremy Ray Taylor portrays Ben, a new kid at the school that will steal your heart away with his pure and innocent crush on Beverly and his secret obsession with New Kids on the Block. Sophia Lillis the actress that plays Beverly, the only female member of the Loser’s Club, does a stunning performance balancing a girl struggling with an overprotective father and a girl who is brave and confident as a new member of the Loser’s Club. Jack Dylan Grazer and Finn Wolfhard both make the movie as two friends who constantly riff on each other. Both help give the movie lighter moments without being a retread of the same comedic character, but instead by enhancing the performance of each other.

In the end, this horror remake may have turned me around to the horror genre through its brilliant use of creepy visuals, great coming of age story, perfect casting and comedic and heartwarming moments. This film like other great childhood adventure movies like the Goonies, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and the Monsters Squad, will stand the test of time to this cinephile.